Water is essential for life.


85% of Bozeman’s water comes from snowmelt that feeds Bozeman (Sourdough) and Hyalite (Middle) Creeks. The remaining 15% comes from a spring at Lyman Creek in the southwest Bridger Mountains. This water is treated and, after use, it is treated once again at the Bozeman Water Reclamation Facility before being returned to the East Gallatin River. Current average daily water use by each person in Bozeman is 120 gallons per day.

The Gallatin Valley is a headwaters community. Our water is finite and flows downstream via the Missouri River to millions of users. Each spring, mountain snowpack melts as runoff to feed creeks, rivers and groundwater. Water is diverted for use, evaporates and returns to the system as precipitation. The intricate balance in each of these steps defines and impacts our water future. We are all a part of caring for our water. We hope these resources promote good stewardship.


How do we plan for our future water needs?

Drought and climate change greatly impact water supplies. City, county and state plans look at the big picture and depend on your involvement.

Marsh, bog, swamp, morass, quagmire, muskeg, slough, fen, fenland, bayou

These are all type of wetlands and have three distinct features:
– Water is at or near the surface most of the year
– Specialized plants called hydrophytes grow there and can withstand living in the water
– The soil is poorly drained and is referred to as hydric


Water Best Practices

  • Participate in water conservation rebate programs
  • Garden using drought-resistant plants and grasses
  • Run clothes and dishwashers only when full
  • Take shorter showers
  • Use a hose nozzle
  • Fix leaks

Ways to Become Involved

  • Join a city or county board or task force
  • Attend public meetings on land and water planning
  • Vote on natural-resource and land-use initiatives
  • Listen to educational events and lectures
  • Write your political representatives
  • Volunteer at cleanup events